Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Friday 1 February 2013

Hungry Caterpillar Shopper Bag



If you have been reading Heron's Crafts for a while you may have picked up on my love of The Hungry Caterpillar - if not - then why not check out this Hungry Caterpillar Applique Cushion I made a while ago!

This week's project is way simpler than that cushion, and just as effective! 
I have always struggled making sewing machine ruffles so this ruffle is made by hand, I have included instructions on how I made it but if you have a preferred method of ruffling...go for it!

I love using freezer paper to make stencils so thought it was time to give this iconic character a go.
 I am really pleased with how it turned out!

If you would like to give it a go, here are the instructions...

Materials
Plain shopper tote
Green, Red, Black fabric paint (I used Dylon)
Hungry Caterpillar spotty fabric
Needle and Thread

1. Using an exacto knife, cut out the outline of the hungry caterpillar from freezer paper (I have included my template as a download below). Iron onto your bag and paint. If you are new to freezer paper stencilling, I have a step-by-step tutorial here.

I did the green first and then once it had dried, the red and finally the black details. 


2. Once your hungry caterpillar is dry, its time to think about the ruffle on the top. Cut a piece of fabric 6 1/2" by 22". Fold it in half and sew all the way round, leaving a 2" gap on the longest edge

3. Turn the strip right sides out through the gap and press to close. Make sure you use a pencil/pen to poke out the corners.


4. Thread your needle with a long piece of thread and sew large stitches all along the long edge (with the gap in). When you get to the end, gently pull to gather the fabric loosely.


5. Pin each end down to the two edges of your fabric and play around with your gather distribution until you have a ruffle you are pleased with. Take your time here, get it just how you want it and pin in place. With your sewing machine, sew a straight line right across the top, attaching the ruffle to the bag. Unpick your large gathering stitches.


6. Remember to heat set your fabric paint according to packet instructions but other than that, you are good to go!

Here is the downloadable template...




Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Love Rebecca

Image Map

6 comments:

  1. I love the hungry caterpillar tooo!!! I made my mum a craft carrier out of all the licensed fabrics last year...she said it was possibly her favourite Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is freezer paper called something different in the UK or have I missed where we can buy it. I might need some for next month's Craft Challenge....well, I will definitely need some for next month's challenge. Love this.....my favourite picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I may need to make one for a library book bag for my daughter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would make a great library book bag :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Your bag is great! I have never used fabric paint, but now I think I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! My baby girl's first birthday is in a couple of weeks and we're doing The Very Hungry Caterpillar-and I am girlying it up while I can force it on her. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...