Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Freezer Paper Stencilled Camera Lunchbag



Happy Tuesday! And a very happy Tuesday it is because my lovely Mum is coming to visit this afternoon! So whilst I am off shopping and having hot chocolate with my Mum, I will share with you the birthday present I made for my dad!

Two things you should know about my Dad that explain this gift
1. He is really into photography
2. He takes his lunch to work in an old shopper bag

Well, I just had to fix that so I decide to make him is very own personalised lunch-bag big enough to hold his lunchbox and fork.

It is another freezer paper project, and an example of a trickier stencil that worked out just as well - I was really pleased with it although it took me a couple of tries to get it just right!

I downloaded this gorgeous camera graphic from Stephanie Corfee and adapted it slightly to make a freezer paper stencil - I basically simplified it to make it a bit easier to cut out with an exacto knife!

I then made the piece of fabric below. I had to make a new stencil for each camera because it was so fiddly but that's ok! It only took me one evening to practise, print and let it dry ready to sew up the next day.


So once you have you painted fabric, onto the bag!

Materials
Calico, printed and plain
(That's it!)

1. Cut four squares of calico 9 x 9 1/2 ". One should have your design on it (I chose to have mine at an angle) and the other three should be plain.


2. Pin 2 plain pieces of calico right sides together and sew three sides, leaving one of the shorter sides open. You should also leave a 2-3" gap in the short side that you do sew.
Pin right sides together your two remaining calico pieces (1 plain, 1 printed) and sew as above.



3. Fold so that the side seam and the bottom seam line up and you have created a point (as in picture below). Draw a line across where it measures 2 1/2 ". Pin. Repeat on the other side and both corners of the lining piece. Sew across the lines and turn right side out to ensure that it matches up on the right side. 
Snip the excess fabric from the corners.


4. Next job is to make the straps. First, cut two pieces of calico 18" x 4". Press in half and then fold the raw long edges into the mid-point fold. Press over so that your piece is now 1" wide and all raw edges are hidden. Sew down each long side.



5. Turn outer bag piece right side out and place inside the lining so right sides are together. Pin the straps in between the lining and outer bag piece about 2" from the seams. Sew all the way round the top of the bag, making sure to catch the straps as well. Turn right side out through the hole you left in the lining and whip stitch it shut. Press the bag.



And there you have a finished printed lunchbag. Make sure you heat-set your fabric so it will be washable too!


What would you print on yours?

Love Rebecca

Image Map

20 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, just gorgeous! Love it!Thanks for sharing.I love photography so I think these stencil would be perfect to me :) However another option would be birds.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks brilliant, I really should use some more of the freezer paper I have , spent a small fortune on the roll about 2 years ago and have used it twice!

    Not sure what I would print, maybe something geeky like an atom or something!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tote looks awesome! I love everything: the shape, the colors, the stencil! Following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT project! I still haven't done the freezer paper stencil thing. I love how your dad's bag looks. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    'Not sure what I would print. I'm very drawn to leaves, so probably some kind of leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is perfect! What a great idea. Your dad will love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you stop making me jealous of your freezer paper projects. It's so good Rebecca! Your dad will L.O.V.E it!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it!!!! i thionk my cousin who just had her first big break up but is into photography needs one like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute!! my friend is a photographer and I definitely want to make her a bag just like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, I can think of so many people I could make these for. Thank you. New follower and would love for you to come join my link party at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    hope to see you there.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I have yet to try the freezer paper transfer, but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute, would make a perfect gift for my dad as well as he loves photography and has as camera with so many gadgets attached it doubles a weight for exercising arms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! What a great way to make personalized bag.. the camera's are soo cute!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect gift, your dad will love it. Amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome bag! Love it! Your blog has some great ideas and is very cute! I'm a new follower on GFC! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute and t hanks for the info on freezer paper transfer - need to give it a try.
    I'd love for you to come over and share at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party which is open until Tuesday evening. http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love freezer paper stencils - would definitely recommend it as a technique! I will come and visit your party now :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  16. this is a cool project! we are featuring this at bog today, don't forget to grab your featured button and tell your followers to vote for your project. have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never tried freezer paper stencils but love new crafts. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...