Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Friday 2 November 2012

Harry Potter Snitch Shirt - Storybook Craft Project Guest Post from Rae Gun Ramblings

I am so excited to be welcoming Marissa to Heron's Crafts this week to share with you her amazing Harry Potter shirt! I love Rae Gun Ramblings and Marissa definitely shares my love of all things bookish! Don't forget to head over and check some of her other fantastic projects! Without further ado...I will hand over to Marissa!


I'm Marissa from  Rae Gun Ramblings and I am so trilled to be guest posting for this week's StoryBook Crafts. Like Rebecca I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I've done so many Potter related blog posts that in addition to my bookish tag on my blog I have one devoted to Harry Potter related posts.



I also have a slight weakness for fan related shirts. I may have over 10 Potter shirts alone. So today I want to share with you how to make a fun Snitch shirt.

What You Need
  • Fabric paint (I used both metallic gold and gold glitter)
  • Foam brush
  • Freezer Paper (it's like wax paper but only has the coating on one side)
  • Paper cutting machine or Exacto Knife

Make your stencil. I cut my stencils out on my cricut but you can just print your design and and then cut it out of the freezer paper with an exacto knife. You'll want the shinny side to face down.

Iron your stencil (shinny side down) onto your shirt. Make sure to take your time and check that all the edges are sealed. For the snitch I just used it as a basic stencil but for the lettering I did a reverse stencil and put the cut out letters down and then painted on top of them so the lettering was the color of the shirt.

Put something in between the layers of the shirt. I just use a pieces of freezer paper shinny side up.

 
Start painting. I find that with this technique it is much better to blot and avoid brushing since you don't want to accidentally pull up the stencil. For mine I used the metallic paint first then did the glitter paint.

Allow to dry for about 1 hour.



Pull off paper. The paint will still be tacky so be careful when removing the paper. I like to use s straight pin to hold down the shirt while I pull off the stencil.

Allow to dry completely and you're done.

I hope you try it out. It's SO much fun. Feel free to visit my blog to get a printable of the snitch that you can use to make your stencil. If this went a bit fast for you feel free to check out my Freezer Paper Tutorial that has a bit more thorough instructions and lots more pictures. And definitely let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for having me. I'd love you to swing by Rae Gun Ramblings. and say hi!



3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I think I know what my niece is getting for Christmas now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you via the blog hop and I must admit I got giddy when I saw you have a Harry Potter baking section, sewing and knitting. Love! I'm a huge harry potter fan and I love this shirt. I recently did a freezer paper shirt and had so much fun with it. Glad to find you!

    ~Aubrey
    Project Lovegood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...