Today I give you the recipe for mini steak and ale pies. The filling for this takes time but it is sooo worth it! Trust me...this is actually the best steak and ale pie I have had! The recipe works well for a normal sized pie too!
Steak and Ale Pie
makes 6-9 mini pies
adapted from Jamie Oliver
2 red onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
20g butter, plus extra for greasing
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large stick of celery, trimmed and chopped
3 large mushrooms, peeled and sliced
750g brisket of beef or stewing beef, cut into 2cm cubes
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
1 bottle of old Ale
1 1/2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
150g grated Cheddar cheese
500g Puff pastry
1. Fry onions gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Use an ovenproof dish.
2. Turn the heat up and add garlic, butter, carrots, celery, and mushrooms - stir and heat through for 5 minutes
3. Add beef and rosemary. Season. Fry on a high heat for 5 minutes
4. Pour in enough Ale to cover meat and vegetables. Stir in flour
5. Cover with lid and put in the oven at 190C for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Stir, add more ale if dry and return to oven for a further hour until the meat is tender, rich, dark and thick
7. Roll out puff pastry until as thick as 2 £1 coins - cut out tops for the mini pies. Roll out again to the thickness of a 50p piece. From this, cut out pastry for the pie bodies.
8. Put strips of baking parchment into muffin tins and then insert pastry to form case of pie
9. Fill with steak filling, top with pastry lid and use a fork to crimp the edges and seal the pie. Poke a hole in the top to let the steam out.
10. Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden