Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Friday 20 July 2012

Opening Ceremony Olympic Feast - Tie Dye Table Cloth


This is the first part of the Olympic Opening Ceremony British feast - a red, white and blue table cloth to jazz up your dinner table! The perfect base for your British Feast. 

This is my first EVER (shock horror!) attempt at tie dye so bear with me...here is what I learned...

The back of the dye packet says 'wear gloves' - don't ignore this instruction! - I did and ended up with dead-looking hands for the rest of the day!


Anyway... I bought a flat single sheet (this took major effort...do people not use flat sheets on their bed anymore?!?!) and used some Dylon Hand-use dyes to make this table cloth and I was really pleased with the result.

Materials

Flat single sheet (washed and left slightly damp)
Red and Blue dye
Elastic Bands
Squeezy Bottles (I used some ketchup bottles I bought for £1)
Bin bags

1. Pinch the sheet in the centre and pull up, wrapping together until your sheet is long and thin - see picture  (I then divided the second half into two as in the picture below - this was because my sheet was so big). Use elastic bands to tie together every 5-6 inches- make sure these are really tight!



2. Make up the dye as per the packet instructions. Pour into squeezy bottles and add colour to each section (alternate between red and blue leaving the very top section white)




3. Wrap each section in a plastic bag and leave for 5-6 hours. Remove from the plastic bag and run under cold water until the water runs clear. Remove the elastic bands and run under water again until the water is clear. Wash on a warm wash to set the colour


4. Unwind your sheet and admire your work!



Love Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Tie dye is so under used! Fab results which are always unique. Great successful first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I have got the tie dye bug now!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...