Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Sunday 1 January 2012

Kindle Case Tutorial

 I am going to share my first sewing tutorial today! For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a Kindle Keyboard and I specifically asked NOT to get a case with it knowing it would be a perfect project! I decided to make a simple padded sleeve for the kindle to slip into that would protect it whilst in my bag and look great at the same time! This tutorial can be adapted to make a similar sleeve for any phone, ipod, tablet or any other device you can think of! It only took me about an hour so why don't you go ahead and give it a go!

Full tutorial after the jump...



In order to add extra strength and support, I used furnishing weight fabric for both the exterior and the lining. The exterior is a great fabric featuring a map of London that I bought for my brother's Christmas present. The lining is a beautiful blue striped fabric I managed to get from Laura Ashley for less than £3.00 a metre!

Materials
8 1/2 " x 12 " exterior fabric
8 1/2 " x 12 " lining fabric
8 1/2 " x 12 " wadding
Co-ordinating thread

1. Cut out exterior, lining fabric and wadding so you have three rectangles the same size.


2. Fold the lining fabric in half, right sides together and sew along bottom and side seam with a 1/4 " seam allowance leaving a 2" hole in the bottom. Pin the wadding to the wrong side of the exterior fabric. Fold the wadding and exterior so the right sides are together and the wadding is on the outside. Sew along the bottom and side seam with a 1/4 " seam.


2 " hole in the bottom of the lining



















3. Put your device inside the lining to get an idea of fit. I have done the measurements larger than necessary to allow you to get the snuggest fit possible. If too loose, sew another seam, using the first seam to line your foot up against. Repeat with the exterior this time, using the lining to get the fit right. Trim any excess fabric to leave a 1/4" seam.
 4. Trim the corners off the exterior wadding piece.



 5. Turn the exterior wadding piece right side out. Put this inside the lining and pin the top so the edges line up

 6. Sew all around the top of the sleeve. Turn the whole thing inside out of the hole left in the bottom of the lining





 7. Poke the corners out of the exterior piece. Try the Kindle in the sleeve to make sure it fits. Use whip stitch to sew up the hole in the bottom and insert into the exterior piece. Press and top stitch around the top of the sleeve to neaten off the edges.



8. Put your Kindle into the device and you are ready to go!



I hope I have included everything! Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

 Love Rebecca

Linked up to...
Naptime Crafters
I Heart Naptime
The Grant Life
Tatertots and Jello
Family ever after
Positively Splendid


1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial - especially if it's your first! Love seeing the differences in terms "wadding" vs. "batting" in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...