If you have been reading my blog for a while you may have realised that I am a bit of a Harry Potter fanatic (in a good way of course). I am a huge fan of the books and the films...I am super excited because my parents bought the complete Harry Potter books for Kindle for my birthday so I get to reread all of the books! Mega happy times. On the blog I have featured my Harry Potter baking efforts before and today I will be sharing some Harry Potter headgear. These are similar to my simple headbands I featured back in August.
(the headbands are kindly modelled by my fantabulous housemates Jess and Holly)
I made my Gryffindor headband to wear when I visited the Warner Brother's Studios - Making of Harry Potter. Its a simple headband and looks really effective - definitely a more subtle way to show your HP allegiance.
So choose your house and join me to make a Harry Potter headband
1/2 fat quarter of each colour
Gryffindor - Maroon and gold
Slytherin - Green and silver
Hufflepuff - Yellow and black
Ravenclaw - Blue and bronze
4-5 inches of elastic
1. Cut 3 strips of 16 1/2" x 1 1/2" of each colour. Pin two contrasting strips right sides together and sew down the long length. Repeat with other two pairs. Now pin and sew these three pairs of strips together - yours will look like the picture but with two extra stripes.
2. Press the seams. Cut the striped block into 4 inch blocks as in the picture. Line these up as in the picture so that you get the alternation of colours all the way along. Sew these blocks together.
3. Press the seams. Iron the whole strip in half lengthwise and then open up and bring each edge piece into the centre line. Fold in half, trapping the raw edges inside ( I have tried to capture this in the picture below)
4. Pin together, folding in the short ends to hide the raw edges, and sew all the way down the long length
5. Measure round your head and work out how much elastic you will need to make it fit the headband to your head. Cut your elastic half an inch bigger than this. Tuck in to the end (about 1/4" in) and sew. Repeat at the other side.
Here is me wearing my headband in front of the entrance to Dumbledore's office at the Making of Harry Potter (PS. If you are ever in the vicinity and are wondering if it is worth a visit...IT IS!)
Join me next week for another Storybook Craft Project!
Have a great weekend!