I love Cauliflower cheese. There is something very comforting about the warm gooey creaminess of it. It is definitely my favourite way to have cauliflower (I love cauliflower cheese soup as well - that is a delicious way to eat it!).
So when I saw this recipe for a cauliflower cheese pasta bake, I knew I had to give it a go. I have adapted it slightly to suit my tastes but I really enjoyed the results.
Warning! This dish creates a fair amount of washing up (4 pans!) but it is totally worth it! I promise!
Taste - *****
Speed - **
Repeat - 100% Yes!
Cauliflower Cheese Pasta Bake
adapted from bbcgoodfood.com
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 garlic clove finely chopped
16g plain flour
16g butter plus 1/2 tbsp
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
33g grated cheddar
20g Parmesan or blue cheese (depending on your tastes)
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 small cauliflower
160g fresh spinach
1 whole garlic clove, peeled
Preheat oven to 180C
1. Fry chopped garlic in a little oil. Add tomatoes and simmer until the rest of the dish is ready
2. Add pasta and cauliflower to a pan. Top up with boiling water and cook until tender
3. Put flour, milk and 16g butter into a pan. Heat, whisking constantly until smooth and the butter is completely melted. Let bubble for 3 minutes then remove from heat, stir to remove any flourness
4. Stir through and add mustard, most of the cheddar, half of the Parmesan and half of the nutmeg
5. Melt 1/2 tbsp butter in a pan. Add whole garlic clove, remaining nutmeg and spinach. Season well with pepper. Cook until the spinach is very wilted. Remove the garlic clove
6. Set aside 100ml cheese sauce. Stir the rest into the drained pasta and cauliflower
7. In a medium oven proof dish, spoon half of the tomato sauce over the bottom. Add half of the spinach and top with all the pasta and cauliflower. Top with rest of spinach, then rest of tomato sauce. Finally, pour over remaining cheese sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese
8. Cook at 180C for 20 minutes until the top is browned and the dish is bubbling!