Just two weeks to go and this is my penultimate Olympic Countdown post! This week's recipe is fun, easy and great for kids. I made these with my group of Rainbows who are all 5-7 years old - they really enjoyed it! The idea is simple - use a sugar cookie ring base and top it with icing and then the appropriate coloured sweets!
|Apologies for the poor quality of photo - it was taken on my phone!|
Sugar Cookie Base
360g plain flour
120g caster sugar
250g softened butter
1. Mix flour,sugar and butter until you have a dough. A food processor would make this easier!
2. Roll dough out on a floured board until about the thickness of a £1 piece
3. Using a circle cutter, cut out your circles - you should get about 60 rings) - use a smaller cutter or a knife to cut a circle out of the centre of each dough circle
4. Transfer to a baking parchment lined tray
5. Bake at 160C for about 7-10 minutes until golden brown
6. Leave to cool
I baked the biscuits and then let the girls do the following steps....
Mix icing sugar and water according to the instructions on the blog. Spread a layer of icing over each cookie
Gather together sweets in the following colours...black, red, blue, green, yellow.
Top the icing with the sweets and leave to set - I couldn't find blue sweets so mixed some blue food colour gel into the icing
Linking up to a selection of these great Link Parties