Of course, we had to have a sweet treat to accompany the film. Inspired by these amazing cookies on Diamonds for Dessert I asked my parents which characters they would like to eat. This became tactical - Dad likes the icing so wanted a character that would have lots - Hagrid. Mum doesn't like the icing so was going to go for someone bald (Voldermort) until she realised that I was going to use chocolate for the hair. Ever a fan of white chocolate she requested Luna Lovegood which left me with the dilemma of who to eat. Of course some one had to do Harry so I had my three - Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood and Harry Potter!
I used a sugar cookie recipe from my Mum's cooking book that looks more like a potion book now after many years of use!
|Luna Lovegood (and her radish earrings)|
NB. this made enough for three characters as well as 24 other smallish cookies
3/4 cup Butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Cream the butter and sugar
2. Add eggs and vanilla
3. Mix in flour and baking powder until the mixture combines to form a dough
4. Flour a board and rolling pin to roll out the dough and cut to your desired shapes
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 200C
Red food colouring
1. Mix together some pink icing (water + icing sugar + red food colouring) and cover the faces. Chill to set.
2. For Hagrid grate dark chocolate and use a layer of white icing (icing sugar + water) to stick it on, for Harry and Luna melt the appropriate coloured chocolate and spread over the hair. Chill to set
3. Use writing icing to draw on the features (eyes/mouth etc.)