Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Monday 10 October 2011

Patchwork Messenger Bag

So, I was home for about 4 and a half days last week before going back to university for the autumn term. In three of those days I completed this bag made to carry the essentials I will need for lectures this term (folders, paper, glasses, pencil case, water bottle etc).

The design was inspired by one of the projects in Fabulous Fat Quarter Bags. I had every intention of following the pattern apart from a few size alterations but these alterations turned into an added pocket section of the bag, different strap style and altered side panels and before I knew it all I was using from the pattern was the picture of the finished bag!

I did use the suggested technique to get the patchwork effect which was brilliant as it meant I did not have to cut out each of the tiny squares! Instead I sewed 22 1 1/2 inch strips together and the cut them into new 1 1/2 inch strips that was made up of a square of each fabric!

Pockets for pens
Country style lining
Webbing strap
Large front pocket




















I managed to make the whole bag using only materials I already had in! My fat quarter collection was butchered (or at least the blues were!) to get the main design. For the side panels, base and inside pockets, I used denim from an old pair of jeans and I just has enough wadding for the whole bag! I took the webbing and strap pieces from an old bag that would have been thrown out and the lining fabric has been sat in my cupboard for years!


I am thrilled with the result and now cannot wait to use it when term starts properly next week!

Love Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...