Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Facing my Sewing Nemesis and Finishing a Skirt

Do you have a sewing nemesis? A project that never fails to frustrate you? (and by extension those around you *sorry Mum!*) A pattern that your cannot seem to get right or a fabric that you just cannot work out? Or maybe it is a recipe ...a pie, a souffle or a cake that no matter how hard you try, you can't seem to get right?

Well sewing clothes has always been my sewing nemesis. I have a bag in my wardrobe where half finished projects go to hide. There is the skirt I tried many years ago, the shirred top from two years back and the jean-to-skirt refashion from I don't even know when! This week I nearly added a new skirt to the bag. Nearly. Today I won and completed that skirt. 

New skirt...finally! And the t-shirt is my latest freezer paper project -
I am a big Friday Night Lights fan (but I am only on season 2 so no spoilers please!)

The skirt is adapted from a simplicity pattern that I bought a while ago for an elastic skirt. I made it as per the pattern and didn't like it. Mostly because all you could see through my t-shirts was a (very large) waist band where the gathers on the elastic were just too much. I should have realised that I didn't like elastic waistbands b looking into my wardrobe - about 7 skirts - all with zippered waistbands...lesson learnt!

So, I decided to unpick it and make a waistband with a side zip. Easy right...actually yes it wasn't that hard when I FINALLY got my head round inserting a zip, adding a lining, adding gathers and drafting a waistband...which took a while. I have this thing where I cannot really sew something until I have made it in my head first...that sounds quite crazy I know, but I have to fully understand everything I am going to do and I just couldn't get my head round it. I woke up a few times last night thinking about this skirt and how it would work. Luckily,whatever midnight thinking I did must have paid off because by this morning, I knew exactly what I needed to do!

So, after spending the morning on my dissertation, I spent the afternoon at my sewing machine. And now...I am a very happy person! With a new skirt perfect for summer days, school placements and shopping trips!

Have you faced your nemesis?

Love Rebecca


Image Map

1 comment:

  1. Way to go and conquer your nemesis! Mine is button holes. They so rarely work out for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...