I have been having cravings lately. Cravings for peanut butter and jam. The classic combination that is just comfort food all over! So when my Mum told me she had baked these peanut butter oatmeal bars from Sally's Baking Addiction, I decided that I wanted to get creative, I used that recipe as a base and developed by own Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Crumble Bars - made with real strawberries!
So I played around topping ideas and decided to top the oatmeal bars with a layer of fresh strawberries and jam, topped with a crumble topping
My housemates - both not peanut butter fans - raved about these so I think it is safe to say they were a hit. And the certainly satisfied my PB and J cravings!
Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Crumble Bars
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bar Base
adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Peanut Butter
2tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Cup Oats
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Cup Sultanas
250g Fresh Strawberries, chopped
100g Strawberry Jam
40g Brown Sugar
1. Line a 7x11" baking tray with baking parchment, preheat the oven to 170C
2. Mix the peanut butter and brown sugar with an electric hand whisk for about three minutes until light coloured and fluffy
3. Add vanilla, mix. Add flour, oats, baking soda and mix together. Slowly add the milk until the mixture forms a dough. Fold in sultanas.
4. Press the peanut butter bar mixture into the lined dish making sure to get it into all the corners.
5. In a bowl, mix the strawberries and jam and spread on top of the base, covering it all
6. Rub together the crumble ingredients until you have a powdery crumble mixture, cover the strawberries with crumble
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the crumble is browned. Leave to cool completely before cutting into pieces.
Makes about 14
Peanut Butter ...Love or hate?