Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Friday 30 November 2012

Visions of Sugarplums Pillowcase - Storybook Craft Project Guest Post by Crafty Garden Mom

I am absolutely delighted to introduce you all to the fabulous Tanesha from Crafty Garden Mom who will be sharing her Storybook Craft Project based on the Christmas classic 'The Night Before Christmas'. Without further ado I will hand you over...

Visions of Sugarplums Pillowcase
by Tanesha of Crafty Garden Mom


Our favorite Christmas story is The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore. Originally a poem, it has been reinterpreted many times over into picture books, games, puzzles, artwork, and other creative outlets. I decided to pull a small part of the book out and turn it into something my daughter could actually fall asleep to on Christmas Eve, right after we read the story. This is a very simple project to complete, you don't even have to use a sewing machine if you don't want to. However, if you do like a more finished applique, using your machine to outline each of the "sugarplum candies" is easy to do with black thread.

Materials needed:
1 white standard size pillowcase
Various scraps of "candy" colored fabrics. I used some of my hand dyed fabric stash. You won't need more than about 1/4 yd total in scraps of various colors.
Fusible web. I use Pellon Wonder Under.
Scissors - use very sharp scissors to get a clean cut of the appliques.
Black thread
Black Sharpie marker, fine point
Iron

Steps:
1. Iron your pillowcase
2. Download the candy images here. Using a black marker, trace them onto the paper side of the fusible web.
3. Cut around the images, leaving about 1/4 inch from traced cutting line.
4. Place the glue side down on the wrong side of your fabrics. Mix up the colors of the fabric with the candy shapes for variety.
5. Follow manufacturer instructions for fusing the web to the fabric. For WonderUnder, I hold the iron down only 5-6 seconds for a good seal.
6. Let all shapes cool before cutting.
7. Using sharp scissors, cut on the black traced line of each fused candy shape. Peel off the paper backing.


8. Lay out your candies on the pillow in a sequence that pleases you. I decided to make an arc around the top of the pillow to make it look like they are "dancing around her head" as she sleeps.
9. Once you are happy with layout, fuse the shapes to the pillowcase. Make sure to let them cool before moving forward. Check to be sure they are fused all the way around.
10. Optional: Outline each candy shape with black thread, using a medium length stitch. I used my walking foot to do this, and slipped the pillowcase over the throat of my machine like you would a shirtsleeve.

You're done! I hope you enjoy this project and I would love to see any you finish! Please post them in my Flickr group or drop me a line at taneshaquilts@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for having me guest post Rebecca, I had so much fun!

CGM
craftygardenmom.com



Thank you so much Tanesha! 

Join me next week for another Storybook Craft Project!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea. The pillowcase looks really pretty and perfect for Christmas.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...