I will always remember visiting my Nana when I was younger - she used to have these lunchboxes on the side in the kitchen full of baked goodies - almond tarts, date and walnut loaf and my personal favourite – Ginger Bites! This delicious chocolatey, gingery bite of yummyness has become my favourite comfort food and every time I eat it, it sends me straight back to my Nana’s kitchen, and of course, she is always there.
My Nana died 3 years ago and I still miss her every day. Her motto was ‘you’ve got to laugh’ and I think is the wisest statement (especially when said in my Nana’s Yorkshire accent) that anyone could live by. Everyone knows that laughter is the best medicine and seriously, I know that life can get pretty bad but if you find something, anything to make you chuckle, giggle or laugh out loud…it may not seem so bad!
So in honour of my very special Nana, I would like to share the recipe for her delicious no-bake Ginger Bites!
Nana's Ginger Bites
300g Ginger Biscuits
2 tbsp golden syrup
100g glace cherries
200g dark chocolate, broken
1. Whizz ginger biscuits in food processor until you have fine crumbs
2. Tip crumbs into a bowl and stir in cherries
3. In a pan, melt syrup and bitter, when melted, stir into biscuit crumb mixture
4. Press into a greased 18cm square tin
5. Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water, on the hob
6. Pour chocolate over the crumb mixture
7. Once cool, transfer to fridge to set