Friday, 18 May 2012
Olympic Countdown - 10 weeks to go - Sunshine Bars and Printable
This week is my first Olympic recipe! These Sunshine bars are delicious cereal bars perfect for snacking when you are on the go! They can be adapted to suit your tastes with any combination of dried fruit, nuts and seeds! I created a wrapper for them as well just to add to the fun! Just wrap your bars in foil, stick the wrapper label on and you are ready to go! They are a perfect post-run snack or afternoon energy boost!
I love the toasted seeds in these cereal bars. They add a great flavour and take a little of the sweetness away - yummy!
adapted from BBCGoodFood
100g mixed dried fruit (I use the raisin/sultana/mixed peel mix)
50g dried dates, chopped
100g porridge oats
50g Rice Krispies
85g desiccated coconut
20g sesame seeds
30g sunflower seeds
100g brown sugar
125ml golden syrup
100g butter , chopped
1. In a saucepan, melt butter, syrup and sugar together
2. In a dry frying pan, toast the seeds until slightly browned - keep an eye on them so they don't burn
3. In a big bowl, mix dried fruit, oats, rice krispies, coconut and seeds
4. Add syrup fluid and stir
5. Press into a lined rectangular tin 28cm x 18 cm (or close enough!)
6. Chill for a couple of hours or overnight
7. Turn out onto a chopping board and cut into 18 pieces
8. Wrap pieces in foil, stick labels on top and enjoy!
And so you can enjoy sunshine bars just like these...here is the printable for the bars! Just click, download and print these labels onto thin card!
Have a great weekend! I am off to the quilt show at Malvern tomorrow - hopefully I will come back armed with lots of lovely fabric!
Rae Gun Ramblings
Sew Much Ado
Chocolate, Chocolate and more Chocolate
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Six Sisters Stuff
Family Ever After
I Heart Naptime